I’ve received more than a few requests for a post on what to pack for a warm-weather getaway. Ok, this makes me INSANELY jealous, but nonetheless, I will answer this burning question.
If you’re one of the lucky ones to get the heck out of Dodge for the holidays, New Year’s, or any dreary day this winter, you should keep in mind that you don’t need much! It can be deceiving if you’re packing while wearing layers upon layers. You might be inclined to add more clothes, when in fact, only a few key pieces will do the trick.
Here’s my personal list of stuff to pack for a do-nothing-but-relax vacay:
1. Swimsuit (1 to 2). For obvious reasons. But you don’t need to go crazy. Two swimsuits max will suffice. Believe me, no one will notice–or care–if you’re wearing the same suit to the beach every day.
2. Cover-up (2). I like to bring along one short and one long. I live in these from sunrise to happy hour when on vacation.
3. Light wrap or cardigan (for plane and air-conditioning). Always be prepared for unexpected chilliness. But leave the puffy coat at home; a lightweight wrap or cardi will do the trick.
4. Sandals (2). You don’t need more than 2 pairs of shoes! Flip-flops for daytime, and something nicer, like embellished or metallic, for evening. Unless you’re planning on doing recreational hiking, biking, etc. in which case, what’s wrong with you–you should be sitting on your butt at the beach.
5. Shorts (1). Just a pair of easy shorts to add to your cover-up if you’re planning on a daytime excursion or tiki bar-hopping. Nothing fancy.
6. Evening stuff (1 dress, 1 pair of pants, 2 tops). For dinners and evening escapades, you don’t have to dress up, but you want to leave the swimsuit and towel look back at the hotel pool. One casual dress, one pair of pants–linen wide-legs or white jeans are always a chic choice–and a couple tops to pair with them.
7. Day bag, small evening bag. One beach/daytime tote and a small clutch for nighttime. Done.
8. Bracelets. You don’t need a ton of jewelry, but I always throw in a wood cuff or a few small bangles to add a little extra bling to my vacation looks. You can even wear the cuff with your swimsuit and cover-up.
9. SUNGLASSES!. That’s a duh.
Bon Voyage! And have a big, overly sugary tropical drink for me.